Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Inpiration

Inspiration comes from everywhere - I find it in nearly everything. I read so many books - sometimes it's the cover art, sometimes the words of the author, sometimes the characters themselves. I follow loads of blogs, and although I am inspired by everyone I follow, it's rare that I actually try to imitate someone. Today's prompt, Day 5, is this:

What artists do you seek out for inspiration?  Create a small something based on your source.
There are many people I look to for inspiration, but the one I chose to be influenced by for this creation is Jill Foster of "Inspired By." Every week she chooses a different artist to be inspired by, and shows the original artwork and her interpretation, and discusses how she was influenced in her own creation. The amount of dedication and effort that goes into her blog is astounding, let alone the variety of her talents and creations. I encourage you to go over and have a peek. The cards that I was inspired by are within this post.


Supplies: flower image stamp from Fifth Avenue Floral, Stampin' Up!;
embossed with white EP, coloured with Prismacolor pencils, fussy-cut and adhered to the white panel;
papers all from My Mind's Eye Fine & Dandy, True Blue;
"Birthday Wishes" stamp from Inkadinkado, doodles added for border.
I received a wonderful set of Prismacolor pencils for Christmas, and I'm still learning how best to shade with them. The flowers each use 3 different colours, blended by dipping the pencil lead directly into the blending solution before colouring. I was originally planning to use the same three colours as in Jill's card (purple, teal, yellow) and coloured enough flowers in those colours, but when it came time to assemble the card the purple flowers just didn't want to join in. They're still waiting for their own card. Because I'm still practicing with the pencils, I didn't want to mask the flowers as Jill did, in case I messed up, so I fussy-cut them and layered them. 

I am really pleased with how this turned out - and I can completely see how the inspiration piece influenced the final design. Sometimes it's not so obvious!

xoxo,
Jessi

No comments: