Thursday, June 16, 2011

Crocheted Mat Pattern

Supplies: Papers from K & Co "Abrianna;"
Couple & sentiment from Inkadinkado;
swirls stamped on bg paper from Verve;
Tumbled Glass Distress Ink;
(Couple & sent. stamped with Versamark & Tumbled Glass
and then embossed with clear EP)
standard & lacey circle Nesties;
crocheted edging by me
From my blog candy

Sorta close-up :)
If you crochet, then this is super-simple. Lacey circle Nestabilities are the perfect base for these mats - here I've used the second-largest die. Even if you have only crocheted with regular yarn, thread crochet is the same thing, only smaller. Bamboo thread is quite soft, and so is not the best to start with. The thread will usually list the recommended size hook - I've used a 2.1 mm hook because it's what came to hand.

If you've never crocheted before, then take a look at the series of tutorials from Make and Takes (an excellent crafty site, from kids' crafts on up).

Getting Started (covers materials)

How to Chain Stitch (the base of all crochet)

How to Double Crochet

Each post has a series of step-by-step photographs as well as a video. I already follow Make & Takes, and since I crochet already I didn't watch the videos, but I'm super-impressed by how well-photographed the steps are. For more crochet goodness, including instructions and a HUMONGOUS collection of free pattern links, visit Crochet Pattern Central (page links at the left). The patterns are well-organized, and that's where I get 99% of the patterns I use.

Now, finally, the pattern for the mat. I've never written out a pattern before, so if you do spot a mistake please let me know!

The base for this mat is the second-largest Nestabilities lacey circle.  Join thread in any loop with a slip stitch. Chain one, and all in the same loop - single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, three triple crochet, double crochet, half double crochet, single crochet. Move to the next loop and repeat all the way around the mat. At the last loop, join final single crochet to first single crochet with a slip stitch and finish off. Work tails of thread through crocheted stitches at the back of your mat, and wah-la.

That's the pattern I used with the beige bamboo yarn. Eagle-eyes will note I didn't do it exactly the same with the white thread. The cotton was much stiffer, and I didn't want to rip the paper mat. The pattern for the cotton thread (same size mat) was this: sc, hdc, dc, tr, dc, hdc, sc.

Anyhow, hope that is useful - at the very least, maybe I'll have gotten you 'hooked' on a new hobby. {snort}

xoxo,
Jessi

2 comments:

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Oh wow....this is amazing! I love the delicate look of the crochet.

Emily Keaton said...

These crocheted mats are absolutely beautiful, Jessi! But I am totally beyond grasping the intricacies of crochet, so I'll just content myself to admiring your astounding crochet work. :)