Friday, July 20, 2012

PPC76 - Soft & Fuzzy

I know I promised some more flocking goodness this week, and hopefully this doesn't disappoint: a mini-tutorial of how I flock. (Wow, that sounds...wrong...) Go check out this week's challenge post over at Scrapbooker's Paradise Ponderings, and then come back & see how I've finished my card.
PPC #76
Supplies: paper from Memory Works "Summer Fresh;"
stamps from Stampendous;
Fun Flock from Stampendous;
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic;
Palette Noir ink;
standard oval Nesties;
buttons from stash;
Liquid Applique by Marvy Uchida 
In case you're curious, when I add "sprinkles" to Liquid Applique, this is how I do it: fill in the area with Liquid Applique (since it will puff when heated, the small gaps you see here are fine).


Sprinkle microbeads on right away, then allow to dry for the recommended time before heating with your embossing gun. This keeps the microbeads stuck in there GOOD!

 

Also, you'll notice I have a number of textures going on on this card. Since I've learned it the hard way, let me tell you which order you should do them in:
-Flock
-embossing, die-cutting, what have you
-Liquid Applique or any other heat-treated method
-Dimensional Magic
If you heat DM, it will crack. And if that happens last, you will be very sad. Or angry. Either way, bad news. If you run thickly applied DM through your Cuttlebug, it may also crack, and you might say bad words. NOT GOOD. 
Fluffy, shiny, lots of texture!
I hope you can find time to play along with us this week - there's another sweet prize up for grabs! Check out what the other designers have made for this challenge:

Merlie 
Nina
Angela
Allison

xoxo,
Jessi


16 comments:

Allison Rankin said...

Love all those bits of texture...the flock, the LA, the beads, etc,! Great idea with all the buttons!

yyam said...

Wow! I love the amazing textures here. Thanks for letting me know the order I should use them...very useful indeed. :)

Happy weekend Jessi!

lostinpaper said...

So much FUN Jessi! Love the added 'sprinkles' and thanks for tutorial, I'm sure I would have done this in the wrong order.... now I'm all set!

Jackie Rockwell said...

Cute card, the oval of buttons is adorable and I love the detail on the ice cream sundae!

Jingle said...

This is super cute! You've been pinned, my dear! :)

fairyrocks said...

Sweet Tutorial. You have shown how important the details are. Love the sprinkled cone, very fun and clever. Keep smiling and creating. Thanks Jessi

Debbie said...

You are too funny! This is s a great card with all the elements you added!! And another great button 'wreath'!!

kingstonmama said...

How fun. I've never even heard of flocking on a card. Love this. Ann Y.

~Tammy~ said...

This is so sweet, and you know I love love the buttons!!!! I have flocking alright, and it has it's own flocking on the bottle called dust! Ha! I never use the stuff.

Marie said...

Wow Jessi what a great tutorial, THANKS. Simply love this adorable card. That ice cream sundae chick is just toooooo darn cute. Great use of buttons with the lovely dp.

Theresa said...

What a darling card. I love the sprinkles...I take it you said some naughty words!! Well it's a fabulous card!

Unknown said...

omg i love the puffy with sprinkles...great effect. the button frame is so pretty. awesome design

Merlie said...

Yeah...sure!! You make it so simple and easy... not enough glue was my problem! I only have black, so not sure if I will try it again. That little bird is so cute with all that yellow fun flock.

Being Mrs Miles said...

Why I just want to drink this up, you're making me want to have a float! Have not had one in years.

What a clever fun and inspiring card.

Blessings,
Barb

Jen W. said...

This is flocking brilliant! Love the primary colours and all the fuzz and shine!!!

Jenny said...

Super cute card, the textures are just so fun and love your tips on the order of applying them...they sound like tried and tested tips :0)
Jenny x