Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jackie's One Layer Holiday Card challenge

Good morning! I've been right in the thick of Christmas crafting - so much so that I haven't been stopping to photograph many cards. There's just too many! That's part of what I love about making Christmas cards - I get into a frantic crafty rush, and the ideas come fast & furious. Apparently there just isn't anything as inspiring to me as....running out of time ;)

Jackie over at Rockwell Designs is hosting a one-layer card challenge for Christmas cards (ending on December 1st), and though it took me SERIOUSLY from Sunday until Wednesday to make this card, I'm pretty happy with it. What took so long? Hold on, I'll tell you.



Supplies: stamp by Bo Bunny; Memento Gray Flannel ink; Fired Brick distress ink; Route 66 Tattered Angels glimmer spray; Interference Red Perfect Pearls mist

It's very hard to capture the colour & shimmer of the Interference Red spray! Click  to view the picture full-size
I've coloured in just Santa's suit with the Fired Brick ink & a watercolour brush. The way the stamp is packaged gave me the idea - and I love how it turned out! 

Now, what took so long? I stamped & coloured right on the card base. Then I sprayed with the Route 66 mist, which gave not quite enough shimmer/colour for what I wanted. I decided to break out my Perfect Pearls mist, which I RARELY use for this exact reason: it makes the paper curl like a bad 80s perm. And I sprayed it right on the card base. Not sure what magical thing I thought would happen *this time* to make it different from all the other times, but anyway. The next few days were spent with the card under a stack of books trying to flatten it out. Yesterday I just gave up, trimmed it down a little bit, and swiped the edges of the one-layer panel with Gray Flannel ink, and I call it good. I actually like having the border there better - and with enough adhesive, any curl can be tamed. 

I've got another few single-layer cards on the go, and hopefully I'll get finished by December 1st so I can play along again. Thanks for the challenge, Jackie!

xoxo,
Jessi






9 comments:

Jackie Rockwell said...

LOVE this image Jessi! I can see the sparkle in your second photo and it really adds a special touch to your card. I rarely think about those kinds of additions that really make a one layer card pop! Thanks so much for joining me in my little One Layer Holiday Card Challenge! :)

I've extended the challenge another day so there's still time to make another card if you're feeling ambitious. :)

Annette Allen said...

aww Santa is adorable... I love the soft feel of this card..

Debbie said...

This is great!! I need to make some flat cards so thanks for the inspiration!

walchowDesign said...

Love this vintage Santa, Jessi! You are so funny with the 80s perm. Me too, had to pin the papers with a heavy box for overnight!

Dawn said...

Gorgeous card, Jessi. That vintage Santa image is stunning! The red suite really pops and it looks great stamped in the grey - gives it a softer, worn look. Love the spray - just the right amount of shimmer and colour.

Hugs, Dawn

Nance said...

I love this Santa. Nice sparkle. I have the problem of curling paper sometimes with my Glimmer mists and have to do the same thing. I just reread your post for SOS and hopefully, I followed the guidelines for the challenge. I did use an old button and an old sticker.

~Tammy~ said...

You would never know you had any troubles! Gorgeous! i never use the stuff for the fight either. (At least not on paper) On ribbon and tissue...

I love the way Santa is colored in! Wonderful Jessi!

Jen W. said...

That sparkle is awesome and I love how Santa pops with that red jacket! Nightmare on the curling... Everything I used to heat emboss curled. That's the only blessing of the new (and very slow) heat embosser that I have - doesn't curl anything!

lostinpaper said...

The added sparkle is perfect Jessi, what a wonderful card!