Thursday, April 11, 2013

Design Team Throwdown, Round 3!

It's time for the third round in the DT Throwdown over at Smeared & Smudged - and the Drunken Stampers are bringing their A game once again! Voting runs until Friday night at midnight - so hop on over to the Smeared & Smudged forum to vote :)

Oh, how Blogger hates horizontal photos...please click to view full-size. I promise it's worth it. You can at least READ what it says!

KelliJo and Lynne  have totally rocked this challenge - which WAS a challenge, letmetellyou. Make sure you go visit their awesome projects too! I decided right away that I wanted to make an oval-shaped accordion book. At least I think that's what you'd call it? The pages fold up. My first attempt at a cover was a complete & utter fail...I tried doing faux metal again, and not only did I drop the embossing powder jar onto the last melted layer (splats while wet, awesome!) I tried sticking things into it...a metal charm, some chipboard. It ended up being a hot mess. I should have taken a picture, but then I was trimming it trying to salvage even a little bit of it and that didn't happen. So, 45 minutes or so wasted there, and then I was getting desperate. Because of course, the deadline? Last night. When was I working on it? Yesterday afternoon.

At least the splatty EP didn't hit the dog. I did it on the floor this time  to avoid getting powder all over my desk, and so of course she had her head on my leg the whole time.

I decided instead to go rainbow, and make a little booklet for my husband. (You can puke, it's ok.) I don't make him things any more, because after 16+ years...meh. Can I just say, the response this got? I might make more things for him again - he was tickled! Although he did ask what the key was for...
Cover of the closed book.

I set an eyelet in the cover of the book before attaching the inside pages, and added a rainbow of twine plus a key. A key as in 'key to my heart' since it's all lovey. Also, a key because I was going to use it in my original vision of the book and I still wanted to. 


When cutting out the attached ovals, I scored cardstock at about 1/8" shorter than the die I planned to use - making sure the die's cutting edge extended over the folds left the very edges uncut. There are two strips done  this way - the green oval is a double layer so that the fold was continuous. I'm not describing that very well. One oval is attached to the back of the cover, so that it unfolds as a rainbow. The purple oval is the back cover. The entire book started as white cardstock - no patterned paper. It was hard.



Each oval was stamped with a lovey greeting, using Versamark & Memento Tuxedo Black, and then clear embossed. The green oval's musical score was done with embossing resist, and so was the blue oval - I used a Versamark pen to fill in the line art, but missed a couple spots. Luckily, I like how it turned out.

The back cover, when folded up.

It is a very long list of supplies, naturally. If you have any questions about supplies let me know. I used distress inks and Tattered Angels glimmer mists to colour each page - first sponging with the ink, and then using a paintbrush to add the glimmer mist in the centre of each oval, and to flick some splatters. 

SO! each page measures 3" wide, and about 2.5" tall. I think that's everything...except of course, reminding you to click to see the pictures full-size (swear, they're better that way) and then go vote over at the Smeared & Smudged Forum!

xoxo,
Jessi 







14 comments:

lostinpaper said...

So wonderful Jessi, LoVe the colour!

DonnaMundinger said...

This is really sweet. Love the bright colors and your post made me giggle. I can see why your DH was touched. Great job. xxD

Donna said...

Jessi!!! You're a freakin rock star!!! That is ALL kinds of awesome!!
DH better have loved that!! I love the ASL I love you stamp!!!

Miranda said...

lovely shape and colours so bright and cheery

Emily Keaton said...

This is totally cool, Jessi!! I love your awesome accordion book. Great idea for the hubs--so glad that he appreciated it!!

Nance said...

So creative, Jessi! Very rainbow-ish and "ahhhh" for the lovey theme! Love it! Your EP incident sounds like me. And I have gotten EP on my dog, the white dog, and dark EP, LOTS!

walchowDesign said...

Sorry to hear that things didn't quite work as what you wanted, Jessi!

I love the colorful accordion book and all the well thought text on it too! I am sure DH love it!

Annette Allen said...

sounds like you had a hard time at first.. I have so had those moments but look at this it is so totally awesome.. I love it.. You did a great job.. loving all the fun colors..

Monique's art said...

what a cute little book

jimlynn said...

So fun and pretty too! Love all the little sentiments. Very cute and creative!!!
Lynn

Lindsey said...

Wow, Jessi! I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like this from you. It is, of course, absolutely awesome!!!

Barb said...

Wonderful little mini, Jessi! Fun bright colors and all of the heat embossing, especially the resist, is fab!

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Very cute rainbow book! Good save after the first vision didn't work out. I hate it when that happens, but it seems to work out usually, in a very unusual way! Good luck in the throwdown!

Chris Dring said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Love this little book so much!