Thursday, September 5, 2013

Forgotten Things

I am not an organized crafter. I have LOTS of forgotten things in my crafty stash, simply by virtue of forgetting where I put it &  then never looking in the right spot to see it. So when I saw the current Our Creative Corner challenge to USE one of those forgotten things....I wrote it down, thought "hey, that sounds fun!" and then waited to find something.

I figured if I went looking for something then it wasn't forgotten, see. Luckily it didn't take me long to rediscover something - ages ago Barb gave me this awesome little tree & leaves die set from MFT, and I tucked them in with the PTI jars dies.  I really don't know how long it's been since I've seen them - I'm going to say it was before Christmas, because that's the last time I remember using the jar dies.

Anyway, here's the card I made:


Supplies: MFT tree dies; Paper Smooches clouds dies & sentiment; K&Co sun; Memento Gray Flannel ink; Antique Linen distress ink; little skunk from stash


I used scraps of three different green card stocks for the leaves, and with Abby's help/interference cut way more than necessary. Lots for next time, lol. She licked me every time the plates cranked through - she likes to lay down right in front of the Cuttlebug, and takes it personally whenever I use it. 

The grass was cut freehand - I really love the layered look - and the little skunk & 'dang' made me giggle. I wanted a critter and I have a little sheet of card stock animals in my stash. I envision this as a 'dang, that sucks!' kind of card, sort of a consolation for a breakup, or even a belated birthday card. 

Next up on my list - recreating this tree in autumn colours :)

Can you tell - the boys headed back to school this morning? I feel like a new woman. The music is blasting, I'm singing along (with no one claiming they're "going to suicide if you keep humming") and generally making a dork of myself. My kind of awesome day! I hope your day rocks too!

xoxo,
Jessi

14 comments:

jimlynn said...

LOL! Have fun making a dock of yourself today!

So glad you found all this stuff since your card turned out precious! Love the addition of the skunk and your hand made grass is perfect.
Lynn

Emily Keaton said...

Oh, my goodness--I giggled out loud when I saw this adorable card, Jessi!! That little skunk and sunshine are fantastic, and I love how you put together your ultra-leafy diecut tree. Even your cloud shapes and outlines make me smile! But the icing on the cake is your simple "dang" sentiment--SO perfect for the kind of card you described. LOVE it all!

Nice to know that I have a partner in the "aren't I too young to be the parent of a high schooler" club!! Sobering, for sure, right? ;) Do you ever see that Staples ad (do you even have Staples in Canada??) with the back-to-school supplies sales info set to the "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" song while parents dance around in the background, anticipating their lovelies' return to school? That keeps running thru my head {grin}! I love, love, LOVE my kids, but it's always nice to be able to reclaim a bit of me time once Sept. rolls around!! I'm glad that we *both* get to be a dork again!

OH, and one more thing!!! Thanks so much for your sweet comment about my "Roll With It" card in the latest PC mag!! I was so thrilled that it was chosen--I love how it turned out!! Making that tiny roll of toilet paper was SO much fun. Thanks so much for being such an awesome visitor on my blog!! It is always such a joy to see your smiling face in the comments section!! It was such a crazy busy summer--I never had the time I wanted to for getting out to visit folks in blog land. But with the kids back in school now, I'm hoping to be a little more with it!

Donna said...

Going to suicide if you keep humming...pfffffttttt...have I mentioned how much I ADORE your boys????
This card is awesome possum (or skunk) I can't wait to see it in the fall colours!

Barbara Godden said...

Love it, so much fun "finding" something you have misplaced. super cute sentiment adorable skunk. love those clouds too.

walchowDesign said...

Such an adorable scene and love the layering of the leaves and the cutie skunk, Jessi!

Yeah! I am sure you are having a blast of freedom today - enjoy before they are home!

I was melting from the heat today!

Greta said...

Oh what a delightful card, Jessi! Guess that tree die needs to be on my wishlist.

~Tammy~ said...

Glad you are getting some much needed free time. It's crazy what some uninterrupted time without screams and 'behaviors" can do for someone! Sigh!

Your hand-cut grass is amazing! I love it and this card is just totally adorbs! I have a craft space full of forgotten things. Same thing...don't know where it is or out of sight out of mind. Ugh!

Love this to pieces!

Unknown said...

A fabulous creation! You're awesome...no other way to say it!

Lindsey said...

But of course tree dies and jar dies go together... wait, what? :P Glad you found these forgotten dies in order to make this cute card!

Jackie Rockwell said...

I love rummaging through my stash. Sometimes I find little treasures that I end up using on my cards. This card really caught my eye because how gosh darn CUTE it is!

Redanne said...

Love that tree and the scene you created is wonderful - especially love the little skunk. Thanks so much for joining our Forgotten Things challenge at Our Creative Corner. Anne x

Dana said...

Amazing card!!! I LOVE the tree die!!! I love all the layering, such a sweet card!!!

Chris Dring said...

Holy Crow Jessi! This card is genius! That tree is spectacular! Looks like it took ages to put together. That sun and cloud, the cute little skunk and the sentiment is perfect for the type of card you may use for it! Glad you got to rock out while crafting without the drama of the boys! LOL!

Laurart said...

So glad you liked our challenge! I am one of those unorganised crafters too! This card is so gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us this month at Our Creative Corner - Love from Laura xxx