Friday, October 10, 2014

It's Pink Christmastime at Jingle Belles!

I am so thrilled to be posting this - the Jingle Belles host a Pink Christmas challenge every October in honour of Breast Cancer Awareness. Not only do they raise awareness, but Stephanie & Lauren donate $2 each for every single card entered. They want to hit 125 cards this year - can we do it? (Yes we can!)

So WHY am I so excited to be a part of this? Because someone very dear to me fought breast cancer and WON. She kicked its ass. Angela has been a part of my life since I was 15 - she's always in my corner. She wrote about her journey - and she writes about other things too - and you should read her blog, because I told you to. She's funny and incredible and you'll wish she was your friend too :) And to toot my own horn, she wrote about me. She's an autism mom too - seriously, I am lucky to have her as a part of my life. And so that I don't get misty-eyed, and so that there are as many copies of this photo as possible on the internet:

 scan_1411182039_1
Yep, I paid someone to do that to my hair. 

*koff*sniffle*OKBACKTOCARDS*

I had to go big with my card for this! Quilling was the obvious choice, really.


Supplies: quilling paper; vellum; patterned paper from MME; sentiment stamp from Stampendous; Versamark  & white EP; Tim Holtz design ruler, paper piercer, embroidery floss


I start out each snowflake with the six points, and really just let it flow from there. Since this is a keepsake card to be given in a box, I added some more details in a second layer.



To assemble the card, I embossed the sentiment on vellum, and then 'artfully tore' it to form two corner accents. I used the Tim Holtz ruler to pierce along the outer edges, and stitched with embroidery floss, and then glued the finished snowflake on top. 

Here's all the nitty-gritty details for the Pink Christmas challenge - 



The "Pink Christmas" prompt runs at JINGLE BELLES from midnight on Friday October 10th to 6pm EST on Wednesday, October 22nd; Stephanie and Lauren pledge to donate $2 each per linked up card to The Susan G. Komen Foundation.

The only requirement is that all link-ups be NEW holiday cards with some noticeable pink on them (so in other words, not just Rudolph's NOSE, lol!)

Participants may use sketches, combine challenges, and include any other colors in addition to pink; you can showcase however many cards you'd like to in one post, don't worry, we'll still count them all towards the total!

Thank you very much for your support!
♥♥♥

Check out Lauren's and Stephanie's  first cards for the two-week prompt, and keep an eye on all the entries coming in at the Jingle Belles blog! 
I am so excited to see what you all make to join in! 
xoxo,
Jessi

13 comments:

Peanut said...

WOW! That is some nifty papercurling, Jessi! Pink for Christmas? A big fat YES!
hugs, Asha

lauren bergold said...

have i mentioned HOW MUCH i looooooooove your quilled cards, generally, and this one in particular! i mean, obviously, i'd love whatever you made for our JINGLE BELLES "pink xmas" but this truly is a showstopper on every level. THANK YOU for being our lovely guest star for my favorite prompt of the year! lookout 125... here we come!!!!!!! <3

ps: in the 1980's i paid people to do similar things to MY hair, as well, lol. (i never had a cool purple strappy spiderwoman dress like that tho... where's the tardis when we really NEED it, eh?!) :) :) :)

~amy~ said...

Yahoooooooooo for so many things, right?
Yahooooo that your friend kicked cancer in its ass...seriously, that's so very awesome.
Yahoooooo for being an awesome guestie over at jb!
Yahoooooo for your spectacular quilling. absolutely gorgeous.
Yahoooooo that it is friday.
P.S. Yahooooo for the fab flashback picture...LOL...LOVE your hair and check out that dress...va.va.voom.

Carol L said...

I'm absolutely green with envy! I need to learn how to quill after seeing this beautiful card! I love the vellum stitched panels behind that gorgeous quilling too! What a true WOWSAH card!

walchowDesign said...

Totally beautiful card and your quilling is always amazing, Jessi!

Isn't it amazing that you have such a good buddy.

I have just made something pinky christmas card and will pop into the challenge.

walchowDesign said...

Totally beautiful card and your quilling is always amazing, Jessi!

Isn't it amazing that you have such a good buddy.

I have just made something pinky christmas card and will pop into the challenge.

jimlynn said...

Jessi, you always make such wonderful cards and I love them all....but this one is over the top, breath taking gorgeous! Whoa!!! LOVE when you quill and the design on this, stitching, vellum.....you name it! Awesome sauce or whatever that new word is! LOVE!
Lynn

Lindsey said...

First of all, I vow not to pinkify Rudolph's nose on a card. Second... ❤️ the photo. :D. And finally... what an awesome Christmas card; it would be beautiful in pink or any other colour.

Becca Cruger said...

Wow! That's all I have to say. Everything about this card is just stunning. Thanks for helping to highlight such an important issue.

SmilynStef said...

Wowza ... quilling magic ... so gorgeous ... so very glad you joined us at we get Pink at Jingle Belles.

Greta said...

Gorgeous card, Jessi! I'm not a quiller, but love the look!

Dana said...

Wow!! The snowflake is beautiful!! I love it and how you did the vellum!!!

Angela said...

You are one incredible woman. This is amazing! How were you magically able to combine your creativity and craftiness with support for the breast cancer awareness in my honour? I am so lucky to call you my friend! I don't know anyone else who would do something as thoughtful for me. I can't wait to see all of the cards that are entered into the challenge :) There are some really cute ones already! The snowflake looks really intricate. I wish I had a shred of your talents... Keep me posted as to the developments of this challenge.
Thanks for being AWESOME. I love you forever!!! <3 <3 <3